5 Things You Should Never Let Your Dog Chew

5 Things You Should Never Let Your Dog Chew

We also know that dogs naturally love to chew - but do you realise how important it is to provide him with appropriate chews? Chewing the wrong thing sadly can prove fatal. See our guide below so you can avoid the worst offenders.

  1. Sticks

 Found pretty much everywhere, sticks can be extremely hard to avoid. Although for many dogs, they are simply a fun ‘toy’ to chase, some dogs do attempt to chew or even eat a stick. This is dangerous because when they are dry, twigs and sticks become brittle and splinter – thus a risk to any soft mouth or esophagus. Worse still, if swallowed, sharp wood can puncture the stomach or intestines of a dog. Not nice. We have a solution though – if your dog loves a stick, it is worth investing in an Olive Wood chew. Olive Wood is a close grained wood, meaning it is harder to splinter off so making it much safer for a dog to chomp on. These chews are then infused with olive oil, dried and sanded – so they become much safer and really tasty. Low calorie too!

  1. Rocks

Rocks of any size should never be chewed by a dog – they are too hard and so pose a risk to teeth.  Never throw a stone for a dog to chase!  Rocks can be swallowed and then cause a blockage in the digestive tract or create an obstruction in the intestines.

  1. Cooked Bones

When bone is cooked it becomes brittle and splinters really easily. Dogs regularly die from internal punctures caused by sharp fragments of bone! Never ever feed your dog a cooked bone. The heat also makes the bone much harder – which in turn makes it more dangerous for teeth. Small pieces of bone are also a risk to block an oesophagus. Avoid at all costs.

  1. Old Shoes

Aside from the dye and materials of a shoe being toxic to a dog or puppy, the damage here is more from the bad habits that are being formed. It is easy to give a chewed up shoe to a pup to ‘finish’ off – but this could be the start of a huge problem. Start as you mean to go on, and invest in proper chews.

  1. Cardboard

Lots of dogs love to destroy cardboard. The good news is – most cardboard is non toxic. The bad news? When ingested, cardboard tends to clump together in a dog’s stomach into a big slimy mass, which becomes too dense to break apart.  It is entirely possible that a blockage forms, which could be life threatening. If ever your dog does ingest cardboard, monitor their bowl movements and watch out for vomiting (or attempts to vomit,) diarrhea, constipation and lethargy. If you have any concerns – pop to your Vet right away.


I hope this helps - if you have any questions or queries, please don't hesitate to get in touch on 0333 444 1237 or email hello@chewbox.co.uk