Are you here to learn which snacks are safe to share? I'm sure you are trying to resist your pet's begging face, we are glad to see you checking before giving in. Here are 9 foods to keep away from your dog.
Garlic, whether raw or cooked, is very toxic to dogs. Maybe our fur babies are vampires in disguise? In all seriousness, Garlic is a gastrointestinal irritant and can cause vomiting and other scary side effects. In high doses, it can also have toxic effects on the blood, particularly red blood cells.
No, your fur baby doesn't need to start the New Year a little tipsy! Just like Garlic, Alcoholic beverages and food products with alcohol in can cause vomiting and diarrhoea. Even small amounts of alcohol can cause decreased coordination, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and even death.
Although this yummy health food is a staple for most of us, it is primarily a problem for lots of animals including dogs, birds, rabbits, horses, sheep and goats. The biggest concern is for cardiovascular damage!
Onions make us cry but they can do a lot worse to our furry friends! Dogs shouldn’t eat onions because they are part of a group of plants called alliums, which are all toxic to dogs. They cause gastrointestinal irritation and could lead to red blood cell damage and anaemia.
Chocolate may be a tasty snack for us humans but chocolate products contain substances called methylxanthines, which are found in cacao seeds. When ingested by dogs, methylxanthines can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, abnormal heart rhythm, seizures and even death.
> Did you know that darker chocolate is more dangerous than milk chocolate? White chocolate has the lowest level of methylxanthines, while baking chocolate contains the highest.
Eating even just a few raisins can be highly toxic to dogs, so it is important to keep these fruits away from our furry friends to ensure their safety. Although the toxic substance within raisins is unknown, these fruits can cause kidney failure and it is certain that the effects can be devastating.
Whether your dog has eaten grapes in the past and seemed unaffected, or you’ve heard stories about owners feeding one or two grapes to their dog as a treat. Similar to Raisins, the toxic part of Grapes are unknown so these fruits can cause kidney failure and are best to avoid!
While creamy mushrooms on toast might be a popular restaurant starter, our furry friends should avoid at all costs. If you have mushrooms spouting up in your yard, it’s best to remove the fungi before your dog has a chance to chew on it.
Cake and sugary treats
We have all seen those cute dog photos on social media with furry friends eating cake in a birthday hat. While these photos seem cute, dogs eating cake is not a good idea. The added sugars, preservatives, and chemicals found in store-bought cakes can have serious negative long-term effects on dogs.
Stay tuned for our list of plants to avoid!